In 1927, circus enthusiasts Frank Baldwin and Harry Tucker were discussing the New York Tent of the Circus Fans Association of America, the precursor to the Circus Saints and Sinners club. They felt that Richmond—being the gateway between New York and the Big Top at Sarasota, Florida—would be an ideal place to start a local group. After recruiting several other like-minded men, the local tent was born.
Each Tent is named for an individual associated with the circus. The Richmond area is served by the W. W. Workman Tent, named in honor of the “advance man” in Europe for the legendary P.T. Barnum.
Their first meeting was held in Richmond on October 1, 1929, at the first annual convention of the Circus Saints and Sinners Club of America. A certificate of incorporation was issued on December 17, 1929 to the Circus Saints and Sinners Club of America, Inc. Virginia State Senator William Adams was elected the first tent president, while Richmonder Dr. Clifford Rudd was elected as the first national president.
In 2019, the W. W. Workman Tent celebrated its 90th anniversary. Through the years, the tent has sponsored numerous “Fall Guy” charitable roasts and fundraisers in an effort to recognize outstanding citizens and raise money for worthy causes. The Fall Guy is good naturedly roasted by friends and associates—and as a result of these banquets, our tent has donated over $100,000 to the following charities:
Since our founding, good men seeking to be better men have gathered regularly for fun, fellowship and fundraising – enjoying food and drink with both old friends and new.
Our annual calendar of social and charitable programs is varied and includes: