The organization that became the Pittsburgh tent got its start in 1949 as a businessman’s luncheon club that met at the William Penn Hotel. This club, then known as the Pittsburgh Humpty Association, was started by James T. Shea and Joseph J. New. In 1953, an application for affiliation with the Circus Saints and Sinners Club of America was approved and a charter was granted for the new Humpty Tent, the 14th tent affiliated with the national organization since its founding in 1929.
Local sports icon and longtime Pittsburgh Pirates broadcaster Bob Prince was a deeply involved member. In 1985, out of appreciation for his many years of service, the Pittsburgh chapter was re-named the Bob Prince Tent in his honor.
Since our founding, good men seeking to be better men have gathered together to enjoy evenings of fun, food, and drink with both old friends and new. Profits generated from these functions have been generously donated to numerous local charities. We ask you to join us and enjoy great times as we continue our rich tradition of giving to our friends and neighbors in need.
Some of the charities we have supported over the years include: